According to the European Transformation Program:
Smart Energy City is a city based on internal vision, public value and innovative approaches as well as integrated and flexible resource systems for strategic planning, supported by renewable energy resources at a high level of efficiency and increasingly in terms of energy and resources.
- To balance electricity and heat supply in the city in real time,
- Reducing heat and electricity waste and peak demand,
- To benefit from the economic benefits of smarter energy for the city,
- Using smart meters to reduce electricity theft.
- To support the changing production and consumption patterns of renewable and sustainable electrical systems,
- Reducing total greenhouse gas emissions by providing demand management,
- To increase energy endurance by integrating distributed energy sources,
- Integrating renewable energy at scale to meet clean energy demand in the future.
- Smart Energy Networks and Management
Smart energy systems balance the base load from biomass and other predictable low carbon solutions and the unstable supply of renewable energies such as wind and sun. Smart energy systems use all energy sources from both large and small suppliers, thus reduces the need to generate additional energy.
- Energy Storage and Management
Energy storage systems serve as a balancing unit in power plants with low supply reliability. It is used to store the energy when requested and to supply energy to the load or to the network. There are many examples of applications developed by the US Department of Energy providing financial support to this area.
- Smart Power Generation and Distribution
Smart measurement (meter) consumed energy data is collected and evaluated in the management system. As a result of this evaluation, production is done as much as energy to be consumed. With the transmission and distribution lines, the energy required is transferred to the point of consumption. Thus, energy production is carried out in the direction of instant requests to consumers and energy production, especially from fossil fuels, is realized in the form of demand estimation. As an example of this practice in Russia, more than 1.5 million apartments are connected to the smart electricity grid, and each of the apartments is equipped with counters that allow the energy company to control electricity consumption.
- Smart Network Stations
In our network system, which integrates our computer and network technology, this stations provide monitoring power factor performance, cutter, transformer and battery status and control critical and non-critical processes.
- Remote Surveillance, Advanced Control Methods and Automation (SCADA System)
The SCADA system is a system that can be used to monitor large-scale installations from a single center with devices such as computers, mobile phones or tablets, and is basically software. It shows the topological connection and schematically the energy state of the medium voltage level. The network elements (switchgear / transformer station) connected with the telemetry can be monitored and remotely controlled according to the device. For example, with Layer 2 connectivity over L2TP with GSM companies, SCADA and VEZNELER end units and back networks can be reached via ISKI internal network.
- Distributed Energy Resources and Management
It is a system for continuous monitoring of distribution networks due to the control of load flow and voltage fluctuations caused by renewable energy production integrations realized from distribution network and to take necessary control measures when risk of critical conditions is observed. Distributed Production Management System (DEMS) is an example of this application.
- Alternative Energy Systems
Despite the high utilization rate of existing energy resources, it has become necessary to utilize energy sources that are safe, renewable, not resource-consuming, and not adversely affecting the environment and living life due to limited resources, adverse effects on the environment (fossil fuels, nuclear energy, hydraulics). Systems that provide the use of resources outside of these classical energy sources are alternative energy systems. The solar energy system is an example of these systems.
- Smart Energy Security
Energy-weighted definition of energy security includes the availability, accessibility and acceptability of energy resources. The definition of energy security in terms of security implies that facilities in the energy exploration, development, production, transmission, conversion, distribution, marketing and consumption network are physically protected against any kind of attack. Intelligent Energy Security Systems, which are both inclusive of these two definitions, are among the indispensables of energy stations and networks. SCADA System-Security Control Centers Module can be given as an example of applications.
- Security Threat Management Systems
They are systems that detect threats to energy security in advance or protect them against sudden threats. The SCADA System-Security Control Centers Module is an example.
- Smart Street Illumination
Due to the complexity of the transportation infrastructure, we need to enlighten your traffic so that your traffic is flowing, people feel safe, and cities can save money. Smart street lighting is a cost-saving and sustainable option for today’s cities, a city that prepares the city for the future. The smart LED lighting project in Istanbul is an example.
- Smart Energy Monitoring Systems
Smart Energy Monitoring Systems are systems that enable businesses to save energy by analyzing energy consumption, which can monitor electricity consumption instantaneously from mobile phone, tablet or computer.
- Uneven distribution of costs and benefits
- Need to establish a network to collect energy consumption data
- The need to develop economic storage systems
- Integration of distributed renewable energy sources into the network
- Solving power quality problems
- Protection of public perception and data
- Ensuring confidentiality
- Critical infrastructure, systems and business operations to ensure energy supply is durable and safe against physical and cyber attack
- Cost of smart network application